Mums the Word

Search This Blog

Friday, April 16, 2010

Women On the Verge of A Nervous Breakdown

Photobucket


I have to give this file TWO THUMBS DOWN. However, I did a little research and found some interesting information from some reviews which I think explain why I just didn't see the "Comedy" in this film:

"There are some movies that, no matter how good the translation, are just impossible for a particular audience to get." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095675/



Photobucket

"If you don't speak or understand Spanish, (or some other language that comes from Latin) you won't be able to get this film as much as others. There is a reason why so many American comedians are never able to make it overseas: Humor is simply not international. The rumored but thankfully never completed American remake of this would have never worked. The performances for example: To people who understand the language, you can tell when the characters are being ironic, sarcastic, goofy, or serious. I don't think you can do that very well when English is your first language. So the users that have been complaining about "flat" performances might be already explained." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095675/

Photobucket

To begin the film, it just hasn't been Pepa's day, or even week. Ivan, her longtime lover and a male-chauvinist rat, walks out on her, leaving only a bland message on her answering machine. Planning suicide, Pepa spikes a blenderful of garden-fresh gazpacho with sleeping pills, but forgets to drink it.


Saying she really shouldn't smoke, Pepa lights a cigarette and sets her bed ablaze. Her best friend, Candela, who has been having a blissful affair with a man she didn't realize was a Shiite terrorist, comes by looking for refuge from the police.


Photobucket

The first couple to look at Pepa's apartment, which she has put on the market, are Carlos, Ivan's grown son, whom Pepa had never known about, and Marisa, Carlos toothy girlfriend. When Pepa seeks legal advice, the lawyer happens to be Ivan's newest mistress.

Photobucket

Are feelings in this film overreacted? YES, they most certainly are. The burning of the bed, throwing the telephone (several times) due to anger. The chase of the taxi's, Candela attempting to throw herself over the balcony, and crying all the time are way OVERACTED feelings.


Photobucket


Do you find differences between women in the film and today's American women? What could have been different in the film if the context was in the United States?

Women in the US, I think in a way act the same as Pepa did when it comes to heartbreak. When a man such as Ivan betrays the heart as he did with Pepa's he is lucky not to have been in the bed that was burning! One thing that would have been different is the animals at the house, women in the US usually don't have chickens living out on the terrace of their penthouse. Another thing that would be different, is I don't think I would see an American woman punch out a lawyer just because of what they say.



Photobucket



Do you think there is a difference among women from Spanish American and women from Spanish Europe?

Yes I do think there is a difference, HOT and COLD! The women from Spanish Europe are Cold Cultured women. they don't smile when passing each other, they are blunt and straight to the point, whereas Spanish American women are Hot Cultured women. They acknowledge you in passing, and very family oriented.


Photobucket


Written by:


Read more: http://www.mylivesignature.com/mls_wizard2_1.php?sid=54488-140-53DCE714840366D175AD57262D577C9B##ixzz0lJgV7c00

5 comments:

  1. Heather, Interesting the info you found on how cultural differences affect how we look at comedies, how humor is not international. I agree that it is hard to discerne the irony, sarcasticness, etc. sometimes in a film when you are not totally familiar with the culture. I think some of the scenes in this film that were supposed to be funny I probably did not take in that vein. I wonder if we would watch this film later in our film course we would see it in the same light? I think this did make a difference in how I perceived this film because I did not find it very funny. It was humorous from the aspect of how all of the coincidences in the film played into one another and some of the visuals were funny, but that's about as far as it went for me.
    I agree too that US women probably would have been more violent in their reaction to Ivan and his infidelity; like your comment he was lucky not to be in the bed when Pepa set it on fire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this movie was very funny. I enjoyed the differences of the interaction between male and females. My favorite character was the cab driver, who reminded me of a blonde Liberace.

    I do not agree that we are not able to understand humor because of a language or culture barrier. Instead of feeling that we are not able to get it, we should try to celebrate the differences and enjoy them.

    Pepa's over the top responses were very funny, like when she was throwing things, burning beds and chasing Ivan. I feel that I was able to understand the Pepa's reasoning and enjoy her response, even though it would not be what I as an American woman would do, becuase my life is not a comedy, and I am a little more restrained in my response to stressors in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I couldn't agree more and bravo for your research. This movie was so exagerated that it was basically not enjoyable. I felt the characters were unbelievable and unlikeable. I found very few things funny about this movie, although there were a few parts that were chuckle worhty.
    I think American women go through the same emotions when it comes to love and betrayal of the heart, but I think their reactions would be different. No less crazy just different. I can see a woman looking for their love at all hours of the night and spying on those they think may help her find him. But the amount of drama in Pepa's life in a matter of 2 days was a little overboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, I totally agree with you. I couldn't put my thumb on what the problem with the 'comedy' in this film was but now it makes perfect sense. It's just another example of the differences in the two cultures. It was very difficult for me to tell a difference between their humor and when something was supposed to be serious. I'm still not so sure that there was any serious parts to this movie. I was very disappointed in the film because when we were told we would get to watch a comedy I didn't see where it was that comical at all. I'm holding out for a better movie this week.
    Danielle Gardner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather what a wonderful researcher you are. Research makes a different in the life of a student. Thank you for adding this great piece of information. That is one aspect that we can always talk about in films, and that is the transition effect from scene to scene. Good point!

    ReplyDelete